The Accidental Blogger

"Remember, always be yourself. Unless you suck." -- Joss Whedon

Saturday, April 08, 2006

For Tara

Every day? Still? We'll see....

So I've been thinking about procrastination (goes without saying I haven't been doing anything about it). It's sort of counterintuitive that I'm concentrating on this the last few days, since my lifelong procrastination problem has actually gotten much, much better over the last year or so. No more folders on my desk at work whose contents I'm afraid to excavate, and sometimes the homework actually gets done before the day it's due (sometimes, that is, not often). I used to think that it was a combined fear of success/fear of failure thing; you know, you don't want to do too well on a project cause then people will expect that level of performance from you as a matter of course and screw up your 'it's always more fun being the underdog' strategy, plus which if you procrastinate and do a half-assed job then you have a built-in excuse for why it's not any good and don't have to secretly worry that you actually weren't capable of doing any better. (Obviously I belong to the run-on sentence school of self-psychiatry. And obviously I've read and thought way too much about this.)

And maybe some, or even all of that was true when I was younger, not that understanding it ever did a damn bit of good when it came to doing anything about it. But at my age I can no longer really even pretend to be the underdog, come-outta-nowhere kid, and nowadays I can usually convince even my nagging inner voice that I'm capable of handling, if not brain surgery, at least the things I need to do in my life as I've created it. Which is sort of the problem, "my life as I've created it", or at least touches tangentially on sort of the problem: the last few days I've been formulating a theory that procrastination now has evolved for me into a way of keeping the possibilities open. To not have to commit to the life I'm living as my actual life. (Nice that I seem to have the same bad habit as ever but for different reasons. Boy, my subconscious is clever.)

My procrastination (though, once again, a lot better than it used to be) keeps me from investing fully in the things I do; last minute half-assing my way through crucial parts of my life makes it seem not quite real. Just a temporary distraction. Still so many possibilities on the horizon for what my real life will be. I'm not getting old! I still have plenty of time to decide what I want to do when I grow up, and obviously this isn't it, since I have yet to change the entire world in any meaningful way or at the very least write a best-selling book. And if I also procrastinate when it comes to making Big Decisions about my future, then all possible futures are still open to me. Bonus! (Except probably the future of becoming the first woman to play major league baseball -- I've sort of made my peace with the fact that that was never a possible future of mine.)

On the other hand I am actually taking real classes (after meaning to do it for years), learning stuff about things I'm interested in, and if I do the assignments at the last minute maybe it's just because I also work full time, and if I'm not sure where all of this is going in the long run and keep agonizing over my ultimate career goals, well, maybe I should just relax and not overplan and see what happens for once. So there's the 'cut yourself some slack and things will work out" theory, as well. Of course, I like both of my possible theories, so I think I'll procrastinate on deciding which one is valid so that I can keep my options open...

5 Comments:

  • At 11:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yahooooo! Yes, I do check every day!!! It is 11:00pm Saturday, right under the wire.

    Oh, my nick name in school was Master of Procrastonation!!

     
  • At 6:09 PM, Blogger CamChes said…

    Yaaaayyyyyyy! An update! Wow, you've got me all reflectivy now... I'm a big believer in the "follow your gut" way of living..being as my head tends to worry, procrastinate, and create barriers too... I like your inner-psychiatrist voice. My biggest problem is choosing too many things to do at once. I like reading what you write. Keep it coming. One of the biggest barriers is feeling you have to be brilliant every time you sit down to do it. Don't be afraid to make garbage. As you can see it doesn't bother me to do that... Welcome back to the blogging world. We missed you.

     
  • At 3:50 PM, Blogger Lauren Bell said…

    YAY!!! SHE'S BACK!! Wow -- I am so impressed. And I love this post about procrastination -- one of my major bugaboos (see how it seems cute when you describe it as a "bugaboo") as well. And now, I must start updating my blog as well....horrors!

     
  • At 6:21 PM, Blogger JGSchaeffer said…

    I have some thoughts about this but I'll tell you them later...

     
  • At 3:39 PM, Blogger Pam said…

    Something made me read this post. Maybe because it had "For Tara" on the title. Though it speaks to me as well. Like why I'm not taking acting classes when I'm not working and am in LA. My inner-psychiatrist has excuses for everything too.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home