The Accidental Blogger

"Remember, always be yourself. Unless you suck." -- Joss Whedon

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The period of nothingness is regretted.

So, apparently the way to abandon a blog without guilt (well, without excessive guilt) is to blog while travelling, then you can tell yourself that it's a travel blog, so therefore you only have to blog while travelling. This system works beautifully for a while before inevitably breaking down when you don't blog the next time you travel. But I am nothing if not perverse, so I will now proceed to blog retrospectively about my travel now that I am safely home (and no longer faced with hotel charges of $29.00 AU per day for internet access).

Mission statement: there will be no big, sweeping social and political generalizations about Australia (not that I could stand to read myself blah about them if there were). Besides being seriously beyond my pay grade, those types of semi-profundities are hard to come by when one is in a country that's just similar enough to the US to feel vaguely familiar. Now, I can only speak to my own experience, but I have been on trips where I felt as if I had been dropped on the surface of the moon and this, sir, was not one of those trips. Instead of being another world, Australia is an absent-minded walk down the wrong cul-de-sac in your suburban development -- everything you know is there, but the proportions are all wrong plus which you have a nagging feeling that something is... off, for lack of a better word, but you're not sure what. In that situation, what stands out are the details. Chicken-flavored potato chips, for example. High-end gourmet honey-mustard-soy-sauce-chicken-flavored potato chips, even. It's all details, baby, here in the world of non-travel travel blogging.

To start, here's Detail #1 -- the full text of a correction published in the August 23rd issue of The Cairns Post (Cairns is a medium-sized city in sub-tropical northern Queensland -- the Fort Lauderdale of Australia, basically):

"An article in Tuesday's The Cairns Post incorrectly stated that the suspect in an attempted abduction at Edmonton was driving a four-wheel-drive with a black boar tied to the roof. The vehicle actually had a black boat on its roof. The error is regretted."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home